Friday, September 24, 2010

Farewell Wine and Dessert Night for the Bros!











Two weeks ago my mom and I planned an over the top dessert night for my brothers and our closest friends and family. When I say over the top, I mean this because we worked on a budget and invited about 30 people to fill up our house and decided that all the desserts had to be homemade. We began making lists a month before the event and then the week of we started baking on a Saturday.

For those who know me, they know I have to spaz out at some point and it will be no surprise for me to relate this next story. Dessert night was on a Saturday and we needed to start preparing the cheesecakes the Wednesday before to give us enough time. I just started a new job the same week and there were some other things I was busy preparing for. Needless to say I was tired and when I'm tired I am either A) grumpy and mean or B) delirious and silly or C) extremely silent and nodding off while eating a meal. While preparing cheesecakes I decided to choose option B because the other options didn't seem so good and would not fare well with my family. Let's just say I didn't even end up helping with the baking part that night. I did get ingredients out of the cabinets...WOW! I know, big helper eh? You see what had happened was that while looking for the cook book that my recipes were in, I knocked a bottle of whiskey out of the cabinet and in slow motion it slammed onto the floor breaking all over laundry waiting to go into the wash. I just stared for a moment and as my mother is slaving away preparing cheesecake, we both just laughed. She laughed I think because it's no surprise to her that I would be a klutz in the kitchen. So the first night of preparation for me was spent getting nothing done other than cleaning up sticky pieces of glass and unsuccessfully cleaning the floor and our kitchen ended up smelling like a bar. And then in an another attempt to help I dropped the cocoa and it *poof* exploded all over the pantry. Great start!

Basically the rest of the week went off without a hitch, we got everything ready and all the desserts actually turned out well. I say actually because I usually mess one thing up, but I think breaking the bottle of whisky and cocoa explosion was enough. Are you ready to know what we had??? Wait for it....wait for it....Okay here is the list:
My creations: Lemon bars, ginger creams, and le piece de resistance, Red Velvet Cake! My mom's creations: Almond Coconut Bars, Peanut Butter Cheesecake and White Chocolate Rasberry Cheesecake. We also had about a gazillion bottles of wine which didn't all get consumed, so that's okay because I don't mind helping with that. Also of course, tea, coffee, water with lemons, and awesome flavors of Whole Foods Sparkling Sodas. Seriously, who knew Green Apple Soda was so delightfully awesome! Everyone loved it and we had sparkly lights outside and Jack Johnson softly playing on the radio, which no one could hear because it was so loud with all the friends packed in.

My brothers had a delightful send off and everyone went home after their sugar rush started to let them down. Children went home happy, parents went home relaxed, family stayed until almost 1am and didn't get the hint to leave when I started falling asleep on the couch! :) But, with that much sugar in everyone's system I don't blame them. Ironically enough I didn't even eat any of the desserts until the next day, but I have to say being a co-party planner with my mom, we did a bang up job!

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes and my Grandma and Aunt brought Apple Crisp and Baklava respectively! Thanks! Because if they read this and I don't mention that...I'll be disowned...;)

    ReplyDelete